Church of the Ascension, Hall Green | Wikipedia audio article


The Church of the Ascension (previously known
as the Job Marston Chapel and Hall Green Chapel) is a Church of England parish church in the
Hall Green area of Birmingham, England.==History==
Completed in 1704, it is believed to have been designed by Sir William Wilson and was
named after Job Marston, a resident at Hall Green Hall, who donated £1,000 towards the
construction of the building near the hall. It was consecrated on 25 May 1704.The original
building and additions are in the Queen Anne style. The exterior of the building consists of red
brick and a stone entablature and balustrade supported by Doric pilasters and the window
architraves are of moulded stone. The tower at the west end of the nave has
an octagonal brick upper storey with a copper cupola. Inside, the nave is covered in a coved plaster
ceiling. The chancel and transepts were constructed
between 1860 and 1866. It is the earliest classical church surviving
within Birmingham. On each side of the nave are three semi-circular
headed windows. The roof is slated.Until the foundation of
the diocese of Birmingham in 1905, the city of Birmingham was situated on the boundaries
of two ancient sees. The Diocese was divided into the two archdeaconries
of Birmingham and Aston. In March 1907, the chapel became known as
the parish church of Hall Green in the new diocese of Birmingham. In 1933, the patronage was transferred from
the Trustees to the Bishop of Birmingham. On 25 April 1952 it was designated Grade II*
listed status.==See also==
Listed buildings in Birmingham

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *